19.8 C
London
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Japan on High Alert for ‘Huge’ Second Quake After Magnitude-7.7 Earthquake Rattles Northeast Coast

Date:

Related stories

Europe Wants to Buy European. But How European Is European Enough?

The European Union is moving toward a new approach...

The Strange Social Rules of the European Public Toilet

A Viennese woman is suing her city over 50...

The Two-Week Summer Holiday Is Losing Its Grip on Europe

You can now fly to Copenhagen for lunch, walk...

Europe’s Food System Was Built for a Cooler Climate

A legendary Danube boulder called the Rock of Starvation...

A day after one of the most powerful earthquakes to strike Japan’s northeast in years, authorities are warning that the danger is far from over. The Japan Meteorological Agency has issued a rare advisory cautioning that a “huge” follow-on quake — potentially reaching magnitude 8.0 or higher — remains a credible threat along the Sanriku and Hokkaido coasts through at least April 27. For a country still marked by the memory of 2011, the advisory has commanded immediate and serious attention.

Monday’s quake, initially reported at magnitude 7.4 before being revised upward twice to a final reading of 7.7, struck at 4:53 p.m. local time in the Pacific Ocean roughly 100 kilometers off Iwate Prefecture, at a depth of approximately 19 kilometers. Tsunami warnings forecasting waves of up to three meters were issued within minutes for Iwate, Aomori, and parts of Hokkaido. The warnings were lifted shortly before midnight, but not before nearly 176,000 people across five prefectures had been ordered to evacuate.

What the advisory actually says

The megaquake advisory — only the second issued for this region in recent months — is not a prediction. Officials were deliberate in drawing that distinction. The Cabinet Office and the JMA put the probability of a major quake at one percent over the coming week, compared with a baseline of 0.1 percent during normal times.That tenfold increase may sound modest in absolute terms, but along a coastline where the consequences of underestimating seismic risk are seared into collective memory, officials said it was more than sufficient to warrant heightened vigilance.

The advisory covers 182 municipalities stretching from Hokkaido to Chiba Prefecture. Residents have been urged to reconfirm evacuation plans, including escape routes and ways of communicating with family, while continuing their daily lives. The JMA said the advisory would remain in place until April 27.

A remarkably contained toll — so far

Given the quake’s revised magnitude, the human and material damage was, by any measure, limited. Two people were injured — one in Aomori, another in Iwate, both after falling — and the US-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center confirmed the tsunami threat had passed. Twenty-six non-residential buildings were damaged in Aomori Prefecture, and power outages affected around 100 households.Actual wave heights stayed well below the three-meter forecast: the largest observed surge measured 80 centimeters at Kuji Port in Iwate, with a 40-centimeter wave recorded at Miyako Port.

That the damage was so limited reflects both Japan’s considerable investment in earthquake-resistant infrastructure and the effectiveness of its public warning systems — though officials were quick to note that the situation could yet change.

Nuclear plants, transport, and daily life

Tokyo Electric Power Company confirmed no abnormalities at the Fukushima Daiichi and Fukushima Daini plants, though workers were evacuated as a precaution. The Tohoku Electric Power Company reported its Onagawa and Higashidori plants in Aomori also showed no abnormalities, with radiation levels within normal range.The IAEA said it had been notified by Japan and confirmed no issues at nuclear facilities.

On the transport front, the picture normalized relatively quickly. Bullet train services — including the Tōhoku Shinkansen between Tokyo and Shin-Aomori — resumed Monday evening after power outages forced earlier suspensions. Ferry services between Aomori and Hakodate were cancelled, and school classes in parts of Hokkaido were called off for Tuesday.

Why this coastline carries such weight

The Sanriku Coast is not simply a geographic designation. It is where, on March 11, 2011, a magnitude-9.0 earthquake generated a tsunami that reshaped the landscape and the national psyche in equal measure. More than 22,000 people died, nearly half a million were displaced, and the meltdown at Fukushima Daiichi became the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl. When sirens sound here and officials speak of precautionary evacuations, residents do not treat the language as bureaucratic boilerplate.

Monday’s quake came after a similarly large tremor struck the Sanriku coast last November, and a comparable advisory was issued following a 7.5-magnitude quake off Aomori in December — after which no megaquake occurred.That precedent offers some reassurance. But with aftershock risk elevated, rain forecast across Hokkaido and Aomori raising the prospect of landslides, and 182 municipalities told to remain on standby, the northeast of Japan is in for a watchful and uneasy week.

Based on reporting from The Japan Times, CNN and the BBC.


Subscribe to EuroLuminant for independent European journalism.

Courtney Hafley
Courtney Hafley
Courtney Hafley is a Euroluminant editor specializing in global breaking news, with a focus on natural disasters, emergency response, and rapidly unfolding crises.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here